The Y’s Mission
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn and grow.
Who We Are
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Youth Development - Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
Nine million youth are taking a greater interest in learning; making smarter life choices; and cultivating the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, the pursuit of higher education and goal achievement.
- Healthy Living - Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
Millions of adults and youth receive the support, guidance and resources needed to achieve better health and well-being.
- Social Responsibility - Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
Across the country, the Y helps people give back and assist their neighbors by offering them opportunities to volunteer, advocate and support programs that strengthen community.
The Y’s Impact
- More than 2,600 locations in 10,000 communities across the country.
- 21 million people (12 million adults and 9 million youth) of all ages, incomes, backgrounds and abilities come to the Y to learn, grow and thrive.
- 500,000 volunteers – kids, parents, individuals, and business and community leaders –are personally vested in strengthening their communities.
- 20,000 full time staff
- 64 million households and 32 million children ages 14 and under live within three miles of a YMCA, while 1,518 YMCAs serve communities where the median family income is below the U.S. average
Involvement at the Y
The Y hopes to engage more people in the communities it serves whether it is as a member, volunteer, supporter or advocate. All play a vital role in strengthening our communities. To learn more visit ymca.net. Each YMCA association is an independent, autonomous organization with its own governing board, professional staff and assets